[CBQ] Re: Stock Scale Layout

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Stock Scale Layout
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 06:35:58 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1276947356; bh=cN/UwSkCfCcmLRhYXfnlqjRl8zX2M5xUWyKwlUq4tnE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Bjr5sxWSgXriefJOeppObFYEzxvgnC+gDsCET6HHKc0+jD0LWpKVtxRIRMZBNSg4DRjvafMhKbobZRbWnL9Q7S1UTMF76vaQ3MWut5hbsgaHbbjisRYeUGNkrhpEZQlb
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Nelson, scales at stockpens were placed in various locations. It depended upon
the geography of the site. The scale would be
located nearest the arrival point of livestock coming in to be loaded, as they
had to be weighted. IE this would be where the
farmer/rancher drove in the animals and in later years where the trucks pulled
up to unload. Most typically the scales were on the
side opposite of the tracks, ie road side. It might be at one corner or the
other, or at the end of the alleyway or walkway,
depending upon the construction/design of the stockpens. But I have also seen
scales located along the tracks, at one end of the
stockpens. There would be an alleyway or walkway leading from scales to the
pens.

What I call the "wing wall" was an angled fence on one side (sometimes both)
outside the stockpens, which was used to control or
funnel the animals into the gate leading to the pens. Remember most RR
stockpens were designed and built before the age of trucks.
Farmers/ranchers drove their livestock to the pens, either on foot or
horseback. They would engage ranch hands, family & friends,
and dogs to "corral" the critters until safely in the pens.

All my stuff is packed (moving today), but once I am settled, I will be much
closer to Iowa City, I can dig out plans and photos
and assist at that time.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com