Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through
From: Mark Sellars <sellarsmark_aus@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 23:57:04 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1265270232; bh=UzU5mZ4gGH73Hcc23DPBdYOhANsgDrOKAxArZIBkRzU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=H9GH4m+/NwqSixAj4kLJfsq9FYrIGhyzurbqJJUgydLUasGKSjHkIdMP0dBIArdfhAmLyB+DlL58Ve6VzE9x/ZSSPnLrY5/RqPzohh3aM46NupK5O6rsUJZOdb3Q+Ege
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Greetings All,

The Q had a strong influence on which locomotives were acquired by the C&S and
the FW&D.

I don't know how the economics worked out for the three parties.
Perhaps the 0-1s were sold at scrap value to the C&S. One was almost
immediately cannibalised for spares (it needed significant repairs) to keep the
others running.

Most sources seem to indicate that the C&S wanted F7s but got O-1s.
Ironic, that most of the C&S's 2-8-2s spent a great deal of time leased to the
Q in the 1930 -early 1950s.

But for those of us that like steam, it was a wonderful gesture by the Q.
But I am not sure if it was fully appreciated by the C&S operating department
and the bean counters.

It would be great to find out the full story.

regards, Mark