Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through
From: "Russ Strodtz" <19main@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:46:30 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1265150836; bh=oJzrI+YjWbd9VEMoAM5rEqRbjuSIpVWhNXHn3Jg4xLQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tGV8PL13wlP4r28tYtyIOnVWTPrVdj2x8lyRH/POorEgnFsjJv0Bm+7TsOXfJzwur6/cdeCwwS0vGLBGve+YHnVghujxMZBY2FfDBjtwZaZl1B0EjDjNY4clFAxMenNL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
"Run-through"... Can think of one location first time around
1962. That would be the UP between Cicero and North Platte.
Even in that case power would be re-blocked at Lincoln to
set out the traffic not going to the UP. North Platte would
also re-block thir trains even if the CB&Q was trying to get it
set up correct.

EL? They were trying to get out of the "waycar only power going
home" and to get more mileage on these trains along with the
CB&Q/BN. The NYC and PRR and PC used the same ideas.
"Run-through"? No....

In general power was not meant to try and get "pure power". That
depended on the situation. Again, it was one of the starts of
"HPE" power and they were just working onto those ideas. Some
worked, some, like the CN, would not work. "Stolen"? That would
be very, very rare. Can you imagine a railroad not making an
agreement with another railroad. Once you do that you may get
nothing at all in the future when you really need it.

I was told that once and a while during the 50's if the RI got
a lot of perishable they would take the train to Galesburg. If
that did exist it would probably be an agreement in Chicago as
needed. Just do not know that for sure. Other things like that
were done by the CB&Q/GN and CB&Q/NP. Possibly a short time
lease. One of the problems with leasing was that it often would
be like 30 days or 90 days or even more. I can remember CB&Q/BN
power being stored with leased power still being used. That tends
to make management rather angery.

Russ