Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motive Power Run Through
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:49:11 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1265147348; bh=J38YPJpaP5mxknszFwdB5CKZtfUT+gPO/9bWYDYhf5M=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=aTaqbZC6ojKV+dW2cx7KIo69FG8esLP6NcgyYbEjvkzk/qH4gI44QZM7poF/h/zCJ7jI9rsoPMkBVTEkX7Co76FWYUy89wdQDZh1W3QPMm5l2kcqGL6920G08nqpa0HA
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ-
Please excuse some of the Model Railroad / Railfan terminology we thow
around....

"Run-through" -  Power for a jointly operated train that stays on the train
when it goes off home rails rather than being swapped for the new road's power.
An example would be some of the EL power sets that showed up on the CB&Q....or
the UP power on the CD (???).

"Pool power" -  Same as above but not necessarily in pure sets.. sometimes
combined with other road power.... and may be "stolen" to work on foreign road
to work off hours.

The notion of "pool power" for the CB&Q/FW&D/C&S is a little bogus since it was
a owner / subsidiary roads relationship to begin with.   The article on use of
CB&Q F units on the C&S and FW&D didn't relate to "run through" or "pooling"
but IIRC the optimal assignment of power on a use cycle that was
Chicago-Denver-Ft.Worth and return.  I don't recall if it was in a trade
publication or one of our magazines..... or maybe a Burlington Bulletin (the
CB&Q one).  From your examples the C&S and FW&D units were in the assignment
power pool.  ("Pool" being a group of locos available at a terminal for
assignment....not between roads).

Charlie Vlk

  Really have no idea what you are talking about the CB&Q/C&S/FWD
  on "pool power". Did not exist. In almost all places a route
  like that could not be sent that way. Rates were not set up that
  way.

  "Run-through"? I have no idea what that means.

  On the other hand the CB&Q used, on the system, gray backs on
  both the CB&Q and the FWD. This was from the late 40's until
  the mid 50's.

  For example:
  01-15-52, West Eola IL, #68 with 751A
  01-15-52, West Eola IL, #75 with 702D
  01-15-52, West Eola IL, #62 with 702A
  10-30-51, West Eola IL, #68 with 750
  10-30-51, West Eola IL, #75 with 751
  10-30-51, West Eola IL, #CD with 702
  10-30-51, West Eola IL, #74 with 751

  Right from the start gray backs were very seldom used on four
  units in the same number series, just chance. Normally they
  were set as two units, as "A-B" and "D-C". Many operators did
  not use the letters, just the numbers on gray backs. I know that
  was rather strange as they would always use letters on passenger
  units, just not on freight.

  Russ