[CBQ] Re: Paint for F-units

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Paint for F-units
From: "pal_houston" <paulaleonard08@att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:43:39 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1259199879; bh=kcFuQM9B4rofFRdD9RxMWxfi20t1RV5JymOIixbB21A=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=cjW7zQT31hOYEQC/MKJFNP53Di5dZ4BulpifnOEBYbI/vn2JrqO4goxSXVJyQlNGqxLmI2/+Xe4Nk2IbcpXaTCPV1sKkoN0oda2HLxQ1ORg8dwjuvvf4cFjdHt7xiEUO
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "John Lee" <BNJohn@...> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Testors didn't make the Imitation Aluminum because they had no
standard to
> go by, we (Badger MODELflex) did it because I had the correct standard
from
> Dupont High Performance Rail Coatings that was approved by the CB&Q.
Like
> Charlie said this color is a can or worms along with about 15 other
railroad
> colors that were made 50 to 60 years ago. But whether you like our
paints or
> not the Badger MODELflex is the correct shade for fresh out of the
paint
> shop no ifs, ands or buts about it. If you are having trouble using
our
> paints let me know and I would be more than happy to help you out. If
you
> live some what close to me I would be more than happy to come to your
home
> and help you, just let me know what I can do for you.
>
> Thanks
> John Lee, MMR
> Hobby Consultant
> Badger Air Brush Company

John:
Thank you so much for your gracious offer.
As it turns out, I located what may be the last bottle of Badger
"Imitation Aluminum" in the Dallas-Ft.Worth MetroPlex in a hobby shop on
the other side of town.  They were nice enough to hold it for me while I
drove over to get it on the way home from work.  It was even marked down
and on-sale.  (Bought some other stuff while I was there to make the
trip worthwhile.)
Like Dave, I am all ears for airbrushing tips and tricks, since I do it
so infrequently.   I have a Paaschke (sp?) single-action airbrush.
What's nice is they have paint-bottle tops that fit their airbrush
feeds, and that just screw onto Badger bottles, so it's pretty much no
muss, no fuss as long as the paint is thin enough.
If you have any specific recommendations about applying this "Imitation
Aluminum", I would be grateful to hear them.  I normally prime before
painting, using a medium gray spraycan primer.  At the moment I have
some Rustoleum primer in hand that worked really well on the Blackbird
GP-7's I did a year or 2 ago.  Of course, those are black with a darker
gray.   I wonder if the medium gray primer would be likely tone-down or
darken the "Imitation Aluminum", which is a fairly light color?
Regards,Paul

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com