Re: [CBQ] CB&Q BA-19 on early CZ? Car# or paintscheme?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q BA-19 on early CZ? Car# or paintscheme?
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:19:25 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1258049962; bh=lxbJuGV1UuRjkSbZwHF4y78ESlnfg0VL+mvbh/VcIKQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=R5jY7XwqUiojpTIx8Eo3OIQyPnFAY2+LeBBkPb4iFztYo3gAEsQAb8GaYAf2yoPM4f9qtU3Mug2IPY8QEcpJTx7/+G/d2+anxqnWMiQI88c8P7LtOpB/wyDMLxlP6QDy
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Until the end of the Coloradoan, the use of BA-19 or BA-19A cars was
typically due to maintenance or repair of the CZ cars (and
unavailability of the three near CZ cars - 2 were typically assigned
to the TCZ and one was in a "pool" - not unlike the diners).

The BA-19 cars were the first choice, given the brakes and the SSS sides.

There were several accidents where the cars were rendered damaged
requiring repair at Burnham or Aurora.  One was at Sulphur, Nevada,
one at Berry Creek, California, one near Grand Junction, and one near
Pactolus Lake, CO (1965).  Finding information on these has not been
easy, aside from the Pactolus Lake incident, there are no ICC files
for these (that I have found online).

I know that the GJ incident required the baggage car to be repaired
and for a week or more a BA-19 was used (but I do not have
dates).   There were other incidents, but I have no record of
specific ones involving the baggage cars (to a point that they needed
repair).

There is one photo of two CZ baggage cars on the same train - whether
it was being returned, or there was a real need for two cars is not
known to me.

One of the larger gaps, in terms of consist information, is right in
the dates you ask about - 1953 - 1959.   This is a critical period,
given the lease of the 16 section cars (to the Pullman Pool), the
transition from the transcon sleeper, the introduction of the 1952
order of cars, myriad special operations and other consist-affecting
events.  I have not seen a consist for the "Double Zephyr", the
makeup train (for the Sulphur incident (cars were "strewn about like
jackstraws")) or other interesting consists.  I admit not looking at
the two earlier books (Zimmerman's and Portrait) given travel issues.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com