Re: [CBQ] CB&Q BA-19 on early CZ? Car# or paintscheme?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q BA-19 on early CZ? Car# or paintscheme?
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:28:11 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1258331305; bh=McWCOXHH/3YEvMQehGOMpBzVR2Lac42TEYbkcIOWeGI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=UAlCAzEdPQY1F/E2aXnPgYFY1gIMGeQtM+Nbs9K312le+DV1i82iCK0Bdnp9gnSnf2HIKbHOjVPsl7fi2lgKVeEcZj79FtPA51iOUBEoLKzycPBqGpOhqZtsAeKnJsbh
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One other aspect of the CZ baggage cars that is often overlooked,
especially in the use of non-CZ cars in that role, is that they had a
water tank for use in the boilers (of the  passenger units pulling
the train).  Originally, the tanks were used by the WP to help
ballast the car - weight down low on an otherwise (relatively) light
and top-heavy car.  This is one result of the original test trains
run by each railroad prior to the CZ inauguration.

When this topic was brought up before, no one (on the Q side)
recalled the water being filled or used.   The D&RGW didn't appear to
use them (as supplemental water carriers).

So,  with the BA-19s weighting about 8,000 pounds more (than a CZ
baggage car), was there any operational differences? I tend to doubt
it, but I have yet to find the details.

There was a book that was issued for the CZ diner crews, one for the
lounge attendants, and one for the Zephyrettes.  I doubt there was a
special book for operating crews, but given the unique attributes
across all three main partners (the brake system, audio system,
maintenance (in terms of en route watering, washing and fuel), and
specific issues (no business car behind the obs, and all the other
operation concerns indicated in the original consortium contract)
there might well have been some publication.

I have a copy of the Pullman maintenance document for the CZ
sleepers, diners and lounges.  That provides some details of the
operations and maintenance en route (not the end-point maintenance
the book otherwise addresses).  The original specs likewise provides
some insight.  But I don't know where / what to look for other
operational instructions aside from the consortium data.  The D&RGW
passenger paper was almost all thrown out with the SP and then UP
mergers.  I'm not sure what is available at the Newberry.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com