RE: [CBQ] Welded Rail

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Welded Rail
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:30:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240191067; bh=ne6YT3jiDwPOjHk6bkffm4ysZ5Fq6NIo4xF1rhl0458=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Cq3zAY+/zNtbfSQ0n0l/S04z1O1PJb05r0U/ynHPN5mpW3ABkWnni+asJz8jiFIIbx5dvzeOktB50ZUe8try5po0gtsjz/gPdLHDQk2zKXA0SW5HCJLkT3MDSLQHGRUR
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rick:

Do you have a copy of the alignment charts from the 60's that (I believe) Steve
Holding put on CD?  A study of these would give you quite a bit of information
about the locations of welded rail on the Q.

I'm not looking at my alignment charts right now, so I am going from memory.
If we ignore 78' rails and the Boysen Tunnel for the moment, I think the
earliest welded rail on the Q is 1961.  The earliest roll date stamped on the
rail that I have seen is 1959.  The vast majority, if not all, of the new
welded rail from the early 60's on is 136# CF&I.

The majority of new 136# welded rail was on Lines West, practically all of it
west of Hastings on the Denver line, and there was a lot of it on this line.  I
would guess that this was because the Denver line had most of the 112# that was
older than 1940, and I would suspect that it included a fair amount of OH (open
hearth) rail as opposed to CC (control cooled) rail.  There were big welded
rail programs throughout the 60's on the Denver line.  There were also small
amounts of new 136# near Greenwood, Nebraska in the late 60's.  The Boysen
Tunnel had 129#TR welded rail, laid in 1950.

Lines East had much less welded rail, probably because much of the rail was
131#, 129#TR, and 112#TR.  And I believe the 112#RE had a service date of 1940
or after with much of it in the 50's, and I think it was all control cooled.
There were also a lot of 78' rails on Lines East.  I don't remember any welded
rail between Creston and the Missouri River.  Nevertheless, there were
respectable amounts of 136# welded between Princeton and Neponset, between Mt.
Pleasant and Ottumwa, on Albia Hill, and between Shannon and Woodburn.  Also,
much of the rail between Macomb and Camp Point was 136# CWR.  And right at
merger, BN began to lay 136# CWR between Chicago and Aurora using rail ordered
by the Q.

The rail between Barstow and Denrock, referred to in a previous post was 112#
SH Welded in 1965, probably using the bolted 112# recovered from Lines West.
There was also quite a bit of SH 112# welded between Bushnell and Vermont, and
there may have been some between Concord and Centralia.

Glen Haug