[CBQ] More Rock Falls Stuff.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] More Rock Falls Stuff.
From: "Karl L Rethwisch" <qrailroadman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 00:38:01 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240189789; bh=PCw83JuWFkmuDqDG3MHakHpXCMmydGZcozXma5EnhsQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Qf56OWS7oFvmOImFSs6YDlQuISr31wauYK+VwtVFpcf+AV8QLpwtVZC6FrJkH6FDvcFeU6szk8Twkd7lfxASKO9oCPBDoITB13ng8qtmaZP6yC/yaMs+c6XJiN4YlbOQ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The feed mill in RF would occasionally receive carloads of grain and ship
carloads of various feed mixes but I wouldn't consider it a major shipper as
far as total carloads were concerned.   I remember the terrific aroma of
roasting grain, especially early in the morning and, especially, if I had not
had a BIG breakfast.

Illinois Forge was pretty much a truckload shipper and receiver.   We handled
large amounts of scrap back over the river to be delivered to NSW via C&NW
crews.

A lot of Q steam went up in flames at the hands of NSW torch men.   Look on pg.
75 of Ron Ziel's great book "The Twilight of Steam Locomotives".   There's a
photo essay of the demise of Q 2-10-4, 6316.  Q, NYC, GTW, C&NW and many other
roads were represented at NSW.

The Rock Falls Wayfreight (RFWF) brought in many loads of scrap and locally
consumed merchandise but I never noticed coal loads.   The RFWF hauled a lot of
loads of Parish Alford products such as concrete reinforcing mats (re-bar) and
fencing materials.   Carloads of coiled rod (1/4" - 3/8") came from NSW and all
the scrap produced by PA went directly back to NSW, much of it in the 100 ton,
6 axle Virginian coal gons.

An occasional piggy-back would show up and, almost without fail, be "backwards"
to the ramp.   The car, obviously, would have to be turned.   This was
accomplished using the RF turntable, an AIR powered turntable.   After charging
the car to 140 psi. and coupling its air hose to the hose on the table's air
motor and, with luck, you'd get the car turned.

Leo might know - - - did any cars picked up enroute between Earlville and RF
ever make their way into 94's consist?   Also, Leo, Gabby might not enjoy a
discussion of "wing shooting", ya think?

One other marginal local business was Goodyear Tire.   A few cars a week were
spotted between big brick buildings close to the river and close to Eureka
Coach Builders (herse's) on 1st. St.

I have also switched RB&W but, again, not a huge rail shipper.

The "yard" in Sterling was a joke.   Four tracks with a street X'ing. every
five car lengths or so.   It took 94 longer to double his train together than
it took ta get ta Denrock.

Well gotta give my "brain" a rest.  Enjoy,
Karl