[CBQ] Re: westbound sheep

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: westbound sheep
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:41:46 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1236109316; bh=TOk+ogresB6pKDb8LkOj3CkBpsBAkwtwU1ZBjTFXmoE=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ETQvR8SroKa3JHop2x5LjIQmvepVZJnAwlUtbfzLz/n5vksxA39uq6iBRfBCx2cUnxDnf3B+uEXX2YjzWFa5XDBQdiYicKL9fkwaYA9LEP1UWiOpGaXEr/g9m+ISs3+z
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ I do appreciate Steve's postings, he is a wonderful font of knowledge, as
are you. But Steve worked Montgomery 67-69. That is
pretty late in the livestock shipping business for the railroads. My interests
are related to the late 40's and earlier, when
railroads were already losing livestock traffic to trucks, but still moved a
lot of livestock. In the subsequent 20 years there
was significant change in livestock traffic, and the meat packing industry in
general. By the late 60's railroads were losing out
on both. While Steve's postings are good, they are 100% reflective of what took
place before 1950.

As I have been traveling I have not seen my calendar, nor the photo in
question. Merely speaking from what extensive research in
the time period before 1950 has told me about livestock and meat packing.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org