Re: [CBQ] Re: westbound sheep

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: westbound sheep
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 21:14:46 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1235970889; bh=vd86xmWw5va1Z46MofEGK4KSkSitJyorzFfwrq3y4o8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:Message-ID:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qKL7Mf+rAHSVtT8ugK/JePPTHqoKsu/HDoaUa09t0+1WfqSsIVVWhUgSFz7unxkUYrbCtW/tQhExneGx0xptNF1HWQgoUJpQcCNRkQ8kIRlubdCeON0WwUuudUw3eI6Y
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the '67-69 period I worked at montgomery there were four key players
CB&Q
Moiner Sheep  Fed lambs for slaughter and sold feeder lambs to local
farmers(Middle barn in the yard)
Weritheimer Cattle Co.  Ran a feeder operation as well as sold feeder calves
(leased the North End of the Yard)
 and Henry Steele Cattle Co. a one man band who sold calves that looked like
show stock(South End of the Yard)
The Q published a pamplet(mine are packed away) dealing with the types of plans
for moving livestock.  One plan called for the stock to be fed(at farmer
expense) by the railroad as it was moved to the sale point.  Livestock being
penned up in the cars would "Shrink"  lose weight due to lack of feed and water
so it was to the farmers(shipper) benefit to feed along the way before getting
to market(Market price reflects the weight((and the term Watered Stock))).
Most all moves to market were eastward.  A westward move would have been
feeders headed to a farmer and generally in the fall to fatten on crop residue
after the usual harvet.  Although these would most likly also have been
eastward moves due to the feed water and rest done at say Galesburg and or
St.Paul( I know Weritheimer had sales offices in Twin Cities area)
The "Old North Main" was on the alignment of the Old North Main Line from
Galesburg to Aurora pre elevation
There were spots for unloading on the south end of the Yard which were used by
Henry Steele(the Q unloaded, weighted,counted and penned)
Weritheimer did all their own work
All sheep were unloaded, weighted, counted(reason I do not count sheep to fall
asleep) and penned as well as fed.  Moiner handled the marketing only.
Chiapetty(s[) Packing would get car loads of fat sheep in and after feed water
and rest would truck them to Chicago to the processing plant. Often putting a
car and a half of sheep in to one truck.
Steve
19 working weeks left