[SPAM]Re: [CBQ] Re: 1958 Wreck

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SPAM]Re: [CBQ] Re: 1958 Wreck
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 08:18:00 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Russ -

Thank you very much for the link. I will bookmark it for future
reference. Having now read the ICC report, I'm still confused as to
where you find fault in the action or inaction of the other crew
members on either train. The front brakeman on Extra 700D (NOT Train
77 as I mistakenly wrote) apparently was a novice unfamiliar with the
sidings and therefore shouldn't be blamed excessively for deferring to
engineer Tingle, but by all accounts the flagman, fireman and
conductor on that train warned him repeatedly and urgently about the
need to clear the main. The conductor was so alarmed that he
threatened to apply brakes himself and would have if Tingle hadn't
done so at the last moment. It sounds as though all of them were
discharging their duties diligently, unless you are saying they failed
to physically overpower Tingle and take the controls away from him. I
have heard of such things happening, but when you're dealing with a
36-year veteran, you assume he has some sense of what he's doing. In
any case, it doesn't sound as though any of those crew members were
"asleep." Regarding the crew of Train 30, would they have been in
radio contact with the freight? If so, perhaps they do bear some
responsibility - though it isn't clear what they could have done under
the circumstances. And if they weren't in radio contact, then it's
hard to know where they erred. By Speas' account, at least, they
couldn't see the freight until it was almost on top of them.

>From the various first-hand accounts summarized in the ICC report, it
sounds as though engineer Tingle deliberately ignored orders to take
the siding at Semper with the intention of pulling onto the next
siding at Broomfield instead. He may have been pushing a little too
hard to cover those 5 miles in order to arrive before the passenger
train, and although he applied his brakes, he couldn't stop before
overshooting the south siding-switch at Broomfield, which proved fatal.

OK, Pete. All that said, I'm very interested in hearing about the
"intimidation factor" or any other ideas you have on this case.

Jonathan

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@...> wrote:

> Archie,
>
> I was at the ICC investigation at Maiden Rock WI. Head on collision
> at 59 mph with no brakes at all and only flat railroad. There was no
> "adamant voicing", there was just no idea what happened. You got
> two on the head end and two on the rear end but nowhere has any
> idea why.  None of the crews even got fired over about one years
> each.
>
> It's a strange world.
>
> Russ

ttp://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_howitworks_012009