[CBQ] Re: Coal Chute and Water Tower Colors

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Coal Chute and Water Tower Colors
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:07:28 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1225462056; bh=2KtoW6pR9Ie+ScOELNnZEsDiJK/CoMwOLiSLYab/wwE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=MjVMOSN3qpKlDJpKqFIPBazWzWSSBypNeYZ0kTAFLkizYKlIeIAv16F9+ivLKEQEaHrS0QWB3kCxUfmrKoCAWuwRTLnjjpQ8qjX9u/zYbCKcti0DK29L/yqA3Lubi2x9
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thank you, Steven!  Sounds like "Indian Red" and "Bronze Green" were
premixed paints, while the more "industrial" paints were mixed on site
(red lead for the turntable - must have been the same for cab roofs on
steam engines). Burlington Bulletin 31 (I believe - it's the one on
Bridgeport, NE) has an oral history by a shop painter, and he tells a
similar tale of mixing up graphite for the smokeboxes.

I'm still left with a question. Red lead seems to have been favored on
metal surfaces as it provides an effective barrier against the
corrosive "acid rain" from the combination of coal soot, cinders and
water. Would straight red lead have been used on large wooden
buildings like a coaling dock or water tower? (I assume the CB&I metal
tanks that replaced  the wooden ones were painted with red lead).

Again, thanks for this information.
-j

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@...> wrote:

> Sorry for the delay in answering but it was time for our annual fall
vacation and I was on the road.
> Technology has made life easier(??) for most jobs.  Painting is no
exception
> CB&Q Drawing 90981 for repairs to the 90' Turntable at Burlington
Iowa dated 3/16/51 calls for
> Paint-  one coat Red Lead Paint mixed in the following proportions:
> 20 lbs. Pure Red Lead Paste( Dutch Boy or equal)
> 3 pints Raw Linseed Oil
> 2 gills(1/2 pint or 1 cup)Turpentine
> 2 gills(see above) Liquid Drier
> This would be mixed and applied and it is a bet about the same mix
for rail cars
> CB&Q Drawing 99024 Standard Track Scale House Plan and Details dated
10/13/53 calls for
> 2- Gals. Indian Red Paint
> 1- Gal.  Bronze Green Paint
> 2- Gals. Eye-Rest Green Paint
> And for the passenger car fans(heavy-weights only)
> CB&Q Educational Bulletin No. 88G What is varnish made of?
> A.- Varnish is made of the following ingredients, the proportions
depending on the grade of varnish wanted:
>        Bodied Linseed Oil(Boiled??)
>         China Wood Oil(tung oil??)
>         Fossil gums
>         Rosin
>         Turpentine
>         Naptha
> Why?  Bodied linseed oils is used to give elastcity, china wood oil
to give water proofing qualities, fossil gums to give hardness and
gloss, rosin used to take the place of gums to reduce cost of
manufacture, turpentine and naptha for thinning.
> No. 71G on light and dark colors
> "When dark colored paints are used rapid absorption of heat takes
place which may result in large loss by evaporation"
> So the turntable(cars) would use a oil based paint while the scale
house used premixed  paint.  The premixed paint would  save time and
labor.   Early "Latex" paints were mixed using skimmed milk and lime
or the red or white lead pigments.
> So much easier to go to the home improvement or paint store and get
your paint.  Color is subjective and depends on the company used and
the batch can also change in color.