[CBQ] Re: Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr
From: H H <domelinerdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:17:39 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I can confirm that as well. While I worked at the Omaha Amtrak trailer station
in the shadow of the grand Burlington Station, I jumped on Amtrak train #6
after we loaded the mail to dead head to Chicago for the day.  While making our
way through the maze of tracks in Council Bluffs, the two SDP40Fs derailed,
along with the baggage car and former Santa Fe Budd Chair Car I was riding in,
along with the car behind me.

Needless to say, I did not make it to Chicago for my busmans holiday.  We
brought in a rental truck to unload the mail and baggage so it could be
forwarded with the eastbound passengers. This would have been between the years
of 1976 through 1978.  I have the Omaha World Herald clipped article and photo
somewhere in my collection.  But yes, the train was en route to Pacific
Junction on the Iowa side.

Hubert