Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Identification

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Identification
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:45:06 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1221669917; bh=gc4kxkVmdm22tAzFRrfZ4ZK0kD3XTBunHbCcBDtnjEE=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=kb4aMacZM+6LJ1QewvyABSSYed5aZsLPlPWmVdHLBkVDme6ZBNIBt6n6Xa3zrE2yhzdBhHl2+N5OEr97IMJE+WjiWKI6Fk4tCPIIW1CC6V3Xk+7M+D53bX2XFk7ey6X4
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The discussion of the CB&Q Prewar Budd Cars brings up the urban legend (heard
at a BRHS Annual Meet some years ago)....

Seems that the Q sent a young engineer from the mechanical department to
monitor the construction of the cars (as was common for major locomotive
and rolling stock orders).   The engineer reportedly expressed his concerns
about the strength of the bodies in the areas mentioned, and Mr. Ragsdale
(works manager for Budd) said "I can assure you that this design was reviewed
by our engineer, and he is a graduate of M.I.T.!!!"   to which the young
engineer replied, "Well, I am a graduate of S.H.I.T. and I say this design is
inadequate!!!".
Mr. Ragsdale sent a telegram to Q Headquarters requesting that this crude and
impertinent engineer be recalled, to which the Q replied "Our engineer is
a graduate of the Sam Houston Institute of Technology!!!!"

Probably not true, but a good story non-the-less.

Interesting that the Q tried the Budd coaches out on the C&S and FW&D before
starting to get such cars for themselves.

Charlie Vlk