Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Identification

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Identification
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:52:34 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
REA Box - Branchline makes a fairly good copy of it in HO.  The Budd
cars appear to be the pre-war 52 seat coach/chair Zephyr pool cars -
I'm not great on identification from the angles given though.   If
so, these are the cars that I'd love to see in HO (available in N).

As for stand-ins, one author in one of the RM magazines suggested the
Athearn cars - they are shorter (but shorter than the prototype - the
prototype's few feet are a lot harder to see than if you put an
Athearn shorty in the consist - but that was thought to be a plus,
because the accentuated shortness would provide a visual clue that
these were shorter cars, and different) and have many of the same
qualities.  The roof would be different, as would the total number of
windows.   A ConCor AT&SF coach with a Budd roof,  or, a Riv Budd
coach are also possibilities,   I remember one done from a Riv Budd
car -  though that one was one of the parlor cars if I remember correctly.

The biggest change is the roof, and the parlins.  On one group, the
parlins disappeared into the roof, on another they were vestigial at best.

The HW car appears to be one of the rebuilt coaches that got a
streamstyled roof, some skirting, and other amenities to allow them
to substitute for Budd cars on various trains.  The Bulletin on the
HW coaches & chair cars has a portion and photos of the cars.