[CBQ] Why two routes to Streator?

To: CBQ@yAHOOgroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Why two routes to Streator?
From: Michael Matalis <mmatalis@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 09:35:27 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am trying to figure out just why the Q went thru the expense of crossing the
Illinois River twice to get to Streator.  First they crossed the river at
Ottawa with their Montgomery to Streator branch. Later they built the IV&N, and
it too crossed the Illinois River (at La Salle) in order to get to Streator.
It seems to me that must have had some very important reason to go thru the
enormous expense of building that second Illinois River bridge at La Salle,
it's not the like the Q bought out a rival railroad that already had a bridge
there.  Was there some important traffic source south of the river?  Did they
have bigger plans for the IV&N than Streator? If anyone can enlighten me I will
greatly appreciate it.

Thank you kindly,

Mike Matalis
Downers Grove IL