Re: [CBQ] Why two routes to Streator?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Why two routes to Streator?
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:02:23 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Coal mining in the State of Illinois got its start when Marquette found the
first cole(french spelling)along the banks of the Illinois on his first trip
thru the area.  There were coal mines all along the Aurora to Galesburg
Mainline early on and progressed South.  ALong the Illinois River the seam was
shallow to the surface but only around 3 foot thick while farther south it got
deeper and thicker.
Many products were handled both in and out of stations along the lines and with
many back doors there was not the bottlenecks we have today with only one line
and one carrier like Leo says only wanting to handle in bulk
Lowell was served by the Lowell and Southern aquired by the Q in the 30's
SJH

Michael Matalis <mmatalis@sprynet.com> wrote:
Remember that the Q connected with the the NYC Kankakee Belt at two locations,
Streator and Zearing, so traffic on the Montgomery-Streator line only had to go
down to Streator to move to points east, they did not have to go up to Zearing.
 As for a possible belt line, there is a chance of it, but they only got to
Streator. That's why I was wondering if they had bigger plans for the IV&N.

 Question to the group: What kind of traffic originated on the IV&N south of
the Illinois River?  It is my impression that most of the mines (metal and
coal) were north of the river.  What did they move out of the points to the
south, of the river, farm products?

 Thank you kindly,

 Mike Matalis
 Downers Grove IL