Re: [CBQ] Proto E-unit decaling

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Proto E-unit decaling
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:06:17 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ewount,
Try
MS EH 143 also.
The nose piece may not go down as one piece. The fit around the numberboard is
tricky especially if it is the large modern bugboards. I had to use 2 sets for
my Oriental early E-7. The stripes may need to be cut apart horizontally and
laid down one at a time. I have a good 8x10 of a E-7 nose and the stripes
continue up the narrow front and back of the board's housing. On the early
smaller numberboard, the stripes contour around the bullet shape of the base.
Use a pair of drafting dividers to check the paralell of adjacent stripes. If
you use a suffixed number like 9931-A, like mine, you may have to cut your own
dash and squeeze everything into that space, You can cheat it a little, paint
the gasket gloss black and let the extreme edges of the numerals crawl onto it.
The Silver color I like would be close to the old Floquil, Amtrak Platinum
Mist. I think the new Poly Scale ATSF Old SIlver is close. The Broadway Ltd
silver on the prepainted units looks a little metallic blue & shiny when thay
are parked next to my paint job.

CAREFUL, you may need more than one sheet, some of the MS decals tend to be
very brittle and dissassemble as you are trying to apply them.  I've already
mentioned on this forum that the updated F sets are BAD. They told me it was an
ink problem.

Be flexible when using photos to line up the decals. All E shells are not as
perfect as the Hi-Liners/ Genesis F Units. So  you will notice the side windows
don't line up with front windshields and your Red arrow head  stripe may be
closer to the bottom of the armrest than in the photo. Just line up the stripes
with the rivet strip and let the arrow terminate in it's natural position. You
will have to make consessions like this as you go on. This is where people tell
me that model railroading is FUN and "it's a hobby".
If you are a true Q modeler you know, it's work. You have to fix stripes or
remove them from doors or put the correct era lettering on  a covered hopper.
For plastic Es I like the contours of Broadway Ltd. better than P2k. They run
pretty good too outside of the fact the sound versions suck the power out of a
DCC system like a vampire.
Whose E7, 8, & 9 are you using?

Happy Zephyr Painting,
Rob Manley