Re: [CBQ] BLI CZ Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com,CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BLI CZ Cars
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:10:28 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Well, none of the cars are "right".  But for those of us who used the
TCZ cars on the CZ for years I guess it's payback time.  The Con-Cor
dome is a TCZ dome coach if you happen to have one laying about
you'll see the differences.  I think the full skirting and the finer
details on the BLI make up for them, but to each their own.  The
other cars are a bit tougher as there are more difference.  The dome
obs as explained below.  You COULD do some whacking and rotate the
dome and the underbody, and modify the window strip.

It's an obvious next step...I would also look at some other options
and see if the changes could be done differently.  For example, I
think the Walthers GN domes are a better profile (in terms of the
roof to dome to dome roof) than the BLI cars.  Now, could someone
make a modification where the best of both are used?  But you're back
to the plating issue.

I had one year living in Riverside in a house with the side yard
literally being the main and my bedroom window overlooking it.  I can
still picture all the trains going past, and could tell you which
dome went with which train without seeing the name.  A handy method
considering there were times that the sides were hidden by freight
trains.   I wish I could go back with a good quality camera & cam corder.

At 01:15 PM 7/5/2007, Stephen J. Levine wrote:
>The domed observation car would not be correct for the TCZ.  On the
>TCZ, the dome was forward and the roof of the parlor section behind
>was at the same height as the rest of the flattop cars. For the CZ,
>the dome was aft and the roof of the observation-lounge section
>behind it was raised.
>
>"Myers, Scott V." <svmyers@southernco.com> wrote:          I
>recently ordered several of the BLI CZ cars. However, I plan to use
>these for the TCZ, not the CZ. So, obviously I need to re-letter the
>cars. Has anyone removed the lettering on these BLI cars? I have
>removed lettering on plastic cars, but I don't want to risk somehow
>marring the finish on these BLI cars. I haven't received them yet, but
>am guessing that they have some gloss finish coat over the lettering
>that will make it harder to remove the lettering. Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott Myers

Bob Webber