Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Car

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr/Nebraska Zephyr/Pool 1949 Budd Baggage Cars
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:04:27 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This is obviously going to need some further study.  If they were
"needed", then what happened when the "economy" baggage cars were
substituted?  Were the Havelock cars only used during those times
when boiler water was not needed (as much)?   (or an outright
emergency?) The indication that the WP felt the need to ballast the
cars in their test is something of interest - it might well be that
the standard use of the cars weighted them down enough such that they
were not needed to be ballasted, but it is an interesting
though.  Especially when you consider that (for many years) the first
4 cars directly behind the baggage car were (relatively speaking)
heavy cars - the dome coaches & lounge (and the diner was no lightweight).

It could be that this is one of those things like the FWD, the PAs on
the D&RGW, the F3s on  the Q, "pure" consists, etc. that were there
at the beginning but didn't last long when the realities of operation
reared its ugly head.  But, this is an interesting topic, one that
should be pursued.  I would think we could / should be able to find
someone who worked with the CZ on an operational basis to answer this
definitively.  I know from the D&RGW perspective, I could likely
locate someone.

Anyone have ideas from the Zephyr Pit?

At 01:56 PM 6/21/2007, you wrote:
>Bob-
>As usual, you provide the final answers to the question.
>Thanks!
>Apparently, though, the tanks proved to be unecessary, troublesome
>(as they did on the NP with freezing of the connecting line common)
>or both as some photos of the cars pre-AMTRAK HEP show the cars in
>silouette with no tanks visible under the skirts....
>Charlie Vlk
>
>Bob Webber wrote:
>

>   Actually, the D&RGW folios for the SILVER ANTELOPE show the following:
>   Boiler Water Capacity, Gallons .......2,000
>
>   Which leads me to believe that they were set to carry water for
>   boilers (in adjacent motive power).
>
>   In Portrait, there is mention of the first test train, and in it it
>   is mentioned that the WP ballasted the baggage car by filling the
>   2,000 water tanks in the baggage car - clearly then, ALL CZ baggage
>   cars had these tanks.
>
>   It would be logical then, that follow-on orders would as well. For
>   the obvious reasons. Then, naturally, the pumps make a logical
>   inclusion as well.
>

>   .

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Webber