Re: [CBQ] Sunrise Ore Shipments

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Sunrise Ore Shipments
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:02:04 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Richard, Mark and listers,
Ulrich is now a separately owned company. You can find them on the interweb.
They claim they will re-release their freight cars, eventually.
OK, everybody take a deep breath and hold it in.

I found 3 of the cars in my basement and never thought they'd be Q cars because
they had that heavy 6" x 6" bar and the oversized door locks that looked like
it was part of the side. I pulled my copy of Bulletin # 35 "Q in the coal
fields" and I think the Car could be close to the 500, GS-6s. There are photos
of 81028  & 81432 in that issue.
That 6x6 bar and the door locks are sized to about G scale to allow the drop
bottom panels to latch. Although it has great play value it hides ( and
detracts ) the angled bottom of the car. Removing these with a fiberglass cut
off disc and replacing it with some .015 rod( I'm guessing here )  will do much
to retain the character of the car. Now IF you are lucky enough to have Jerry
Hamsmith's decals You are on your way. Find the BRHS Data Sheet on the Gons and
you're almost done.

Don't forget Sunshine has resin kits for a few versions of other  gons  GS-1,2
kit # 33.7 with the Murphy replacement sides and GS 5/7/8 kit # 33.5. They are
museum pieces and are among the more difficult of the kits as there are many
braces for the underframe.

I've heard the Intermountain Caswell gon is very close to the Q's Caswells with
a small change in some side sheetmetal. Also their USRA gon is right on for the
as built GA-15, there were 1,000 of them. Later they were cut down by a board
height which with the construction of the model allows you to do this easily.
Cut the frame flush with the floor, sand the braces from the floor and cement
the braces back over the floor side and cut the ends and wood down to match.
I'm told the Q loved to use their gon fleet for coal and in the bulletin you
can see lots of them under tipples in Yards and coal trains. I believe they
didn't have any separate cars for ore usage but what do I know, I model
Illinois.

I too have 4 USRA hoppers built, modified and painted waiting for the correct
dimensional data to finish them. The photos I have of the cars have the
Everywhere West slogans and are from an old RMJ.

If you are looking for a quick build get the accurail car. I have a few on my
church railroad and I added Intermountain wheelsets to them. They roll and
track exceptionally well.

As ever,
Rob Manley,
Your best modeling friend in the whole world