Re: [CBQ] Branchline Heavyweight Single Window Coach

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Branchline Heavyweight Single Window Coach
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:37:42 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dear nyCBQ  fan,
I too looked at the Branchline alternative but after seeing the car kits from
NKP Car Sides I decided I can't live with a stand in. I am primarily a Q
modeler and love heavy weight equipment so there isn't an option for a low cost
alternative and besides my Sunset S4 Hudson deserves it.  Tom Schneld is the
owner of NKP and makes it to most of the Q annual meets, Q spring meets and the
RPM show in Naperville. Last year he was at the Joint ATSF / CB&Q / CRIP / NYC
meet in Streator. I know he is local to the Chicagoland area so I don't know
where else he attends.

The  6161 - 6170 Mainline coach PB-21  &
the Heavyweight Suburban coach PA-14  are each $60.00 and are composed of Brass
etched sides, plastic core kits (?) and some resin parts depending on how the
car was engineered. If you are a little daunted by the materials , don't be.
His instructions are quite thourough and at the shows will spend the time to
talk you through the assembly. Tom has quite a few of the assembled kits on
display to prove they can be done. Actually they are about the same diffulculty
level as the BLs, you just need to use some different adhesives.
I believe Dave Lotz has some of the Q kits available through "Q Connection" as
well as the paint and decals. Occasionally Model Railroader and RMJ have
articles on building these type of kits and what techniques and adhesives
you'll need. MR's latest was in N-Scale but basically the same as what you'd do
in HO.
Please see the NKP website @ nkpcarco.com  for more info and e mail him with
any questions. NKP also has a number of Q friendly RR kits like NYC sleepers.

See if you can get the ball bearing wheelsets from Intermountain to fit into
your Gallery car trucks and give those Life-Like Es a break.
If you decide to keep the Branchlines try the Intermountain wheels in thier
trucks as well They are more concentric and free rolling than the OEMs I've run
into.

Oh yeah the usual disclaimer about no known affilliation to Tom and NKP or Dave
Lotz , we have never met prior to the show...

Sincerely,
Rob Manley
"Model Railroading isn't fun, It's hard work."