Re: [CBQ] Branchline Heavyweight Single Window Coach

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Branchline Heavyweight Single Window Coach
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:34:01 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dale,
I think some of the NKP kits use the styrene trucks from Bethlehem. Those
bearings are made of soft styrene and with the crudely machined steel axles (
like Athearn's older wheels ) have too much drag to start (and after time wear
down) and are no better than the old Nickel Plate KMT trucks with the blunt
axels. The other disadvantage to those styrene assembly trucks is it is hard to
get the side frames in square with the bolster plate,so I don't recommend them.
 The Walthers trucks are generally good rollers out of the package but I'm not
sure how correct they are.

If you use Branchline trucks with Intermountain wheelsets make sure the
sideframes are not too tight. Don't push the sideframed on to the spreaders'
bosses too tightly. Assemble the trucks without glue, get them to roll and then
use the glue. Some of the earlier coach and Pullman trucks needed about .020 of
slop for the wheels to spin freely. The Brake beams can be replaced by a
correctly trimmed strip of Evergreen Styrene. I test the wheelsets by giving
them a flick with my finger and if they continue to rotate without wobbling for
about 20 seconds thay are tight enough. Check to make sure all 6 wheels are in
contact with a flat true surface. You don't want the trucks to act like a
teeter-totter.

If you have trouble staying on the track check the accuracy of your truck pivot
centers and see how tight the trucks are to the bolster. You have to develop a
feel for the truck swivel. You have to adjust, watch and adjust some more.
Sometimes a move of a 1/8th of a turn on the bolster screw is all you need.
With the Branchline cars you'll probably end up cutting the ends of the brake
rods short so they don't interfere with the truck. Also look at the floor of
the car, is it level and square? That is a 12" long flat piece of styrene that
can develop a slight bow in the center and throw the trucks out of square to
the track. Keep that clevis end in your parts box for detailing your better
freight cars or use them for scrap on the floor of an empty gon. Try placing
the car on a piece of glass to use as a surface plate and check if all the
wheels are making contact.
Another problem I've run into is the steam lines and draft gear. Sometimes the
heavy weights are so detailed that the parts interfere with the coupler swing
and contribute to poor tracking. The Kadee "airhose" coupler trip pin can also
be an unseen contributor to derailment, I cut mine off. On the Midwest
Mod-U-Trak  layout I don't have to contend with grades so my operating
conditions are gentler than yours.

Another truck to stay away from are the soft metal ones from Bethlehem. They
are the old Cape Line brand and although they look great, the journals wear
down and drag like sleds on concrete. I heard originally they were cast in
typesetters lead. I had 2 pair on a couple of Westerfield RI Fowler cars that I
just threw the trucks away. I even kept them lubed but they still wore out and
squeeked around the layout.
The Branchline trucks are styrene but the bearing inserts are engineering
plastic (delrin) so they roll quite well.  I have a General Pershing Zephyr set
that I am replacing the awful original trucks with the Athearn streamliner
trucks. They are not correct but they will roll. The new wheel sets they are
putting in them might not need to be replaced but if needed I'll get the
Intermountains.

Sincerely,
Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrasment"