Re: [CBQ] Eola Yard Bridge

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Eola Yard Bridge
From: supchief17@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 00:50:09 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

In a message dated 4/7/2007 7:06:02 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
murchi209@yahoo.com writes:

I have seen photos of some type of bridge that appears to have crossed
over the middle of the yard.

Was this a pedestrian bridge for Q  employees, as it doesn't appear to
be very wide? (I am not talking about  the "new" car bridge east of the
old Eola Road)

Any idea the year  it was torn  down?

Thanks.

Rory

I Have great memories of that bridge. I shot a lot of pictures from it. I
have video that I shot off that bridge in 1986. That was the year I graduated
High School, and I had access to a video camera. I remember driving my
girlfriend (now my wife) that I also met in 1986 over that bridge at night at a
 very
high rate of speed.(to maximize the rattling of the loose wood planks to
scare her.) I did that on a couple of different dates just to piss her off. She

hated that bridge, but still married me. I know it was still in use in  1986,
and if I remember correctly, it lasted about 2 more years. The bridge was  on
Vaughn Road. Now its all built up, but at the time the road leading to  the
bridge was a favorite location for people to dump unwanted trash,  furniture,
and other crap due to the road being in the middle of  no-where.  It met its
demise because of a housing development  built on both sides of the yard. The
bridge was a basic thru-truss  design. The wood planks on the road deck, were
not
"loose" because of  neglect, or deterioration, but because of the design. The
wood planks were  placed into a "C" channel steel beam that made up the super
structure on  both sides of the bridge, that allowed them to float rather
than being  bolted down to the super structure, so as you drove across it every
plank  would rattle and move independently of each other. (great fun at
50MPH)!!!! The bridge was about 1/8th of a mile long, and very narrow, and  2
cars
could pass, but with extreme caution from both drivers. I spent many  hours on
that bridge shooting trains, and every time a car would come across,  not only
would the planks rattle, but the whole bridge would shake.

Mike  Griesmann
Supchief17@aol.com
Join the NRA..."When our 2nd Amendment rights  are taken away, the only
people that will be left with guns will be Cops and  Criminals"