Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station
From: John Ziola <johnsclubs@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:02:21 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jim,

  I remember when the Bi-Levels were introduced the older (heavyweights) were
the "smokers". Can't believe I sat in those, you could cut the smoke and of
course the odor lingered forever, worse than any bar/lounge.

  What do you mean by a "power car"?

  I have one cab Bi-Level which was at the "front" on either the east or west
bound as they didn't turn those commuter trains, but always remembered a loco
as the power.

  If you recall which book it was please send me an email.

  Thanks,

  John

JAS SCHWARZ <jas.schwarz@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
          John,

I think that they began replacing them in the mid
fifties. I think that the were the old heavweights,
but painted up in the suburban scheme to
differentitate them. The older suburban cars were
replaced gradually. I have seen pictures with a
mixture of the new gallery cars, the old suburban
service cars and a power car all in one train. Also
have seen the E5's in suburban service, but cannot
remember in which of my many "Q" books I saw them.