Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:29:21 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
No, it wasn't repainted into the color scheme of the Railroad
Fair.  It misses on several counts.  Nor, I suspect, was it meant
to.  There are several variations of the Bumblebee paint scheme but
the Railroad Fair is not one of them.  Without the mural on the
tender, olive green on many of the accessories (such as domes), and
other items, the Bumblebee is very far from the RR Fair scheme.

At 01:23 PM 11/2/2006, you wrote:
>I mentioned C&S No. 9's present use, but D&RGW C-16 No. 268, the
>other Railroad Fair narrow gauge engine, is still displayed in the
>Pioneer Museum in Gunnison, CO.   Recently, the engine has been
>repainted to the color scheme of the Railroad Fair and had the fake
>diamond stack that it wore on that occasion for a while, although I
>have heard that it has been removed.   The so-called "Bumblebee"
>paint scheme is more accurate for the engine, because when it was
>repainted for the Railroad Fair, a larger tender was placed behind
>it.   This makes the engine more accurate for its service from 1949
>to its retirement in 1955.   There is debate over whether the tender
>was from a scrapped K-27 or was a rebuilt C-16 tender, as on No.
>278, which is displayed in Cimmaron Canyon of the Black Canyon of
>the Gunnison National Monument east of Montrose.
>- John Manion
>   Denver, CO

>From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
>
> > Cy,
> >
> > According to the current issue (December) of Railfan & Railroad
> > magazine, one "open coach" from the Railroad Fair was acquired by the
> > Hesston Steam Museum in La Porte, IN. However, it was destroyed on
> > May 26, 1985 when a disastrous fire occurred in the museum shop. It
> > does not say whether it was from the C&S or the D&RGW train. I do not
> > have any information on the fate of the other cars.
> >
> > Bill Barber

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Webber