Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Railroad Fair
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:23:02 +0000
Cc: rgmhs@yahoogroups.com
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I mentioned C&S No. 9's present use, but D&RGW C-16 No. 268, the other Railroad
Fair narrow gauge engine, is still displayed in the Pioneer Museum in Gunnison,
CO.   Recently, the engine has been repainted to the color scheme of the
Railroad Fair and had the fake diamond stack that it wore on that occasion for
a while, although I have heard that it has been removed.   The so-called
"Bumblebee" paint scheme is more accurate for the engine, because when it was
repainted for the Railroad Fair, a larger tender was placed behind it.   This
makes the engine more accurate for its service from 1949 to its retirement in
1955.   There is debate over whether the tender was from a scrapped K-27 or was
a rebuilt C-16 tender, as on No. 278, which is displayed in Cimmaron Canyon of
the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument east of Montrose.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

From: clipperw@EarthLink.net