[CBQ] NKP brass car sides and Trainline bodies

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] NKP brass car sides and Trainline bodies
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 16:09:38 -0700
Bcc:
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gordon Smith asked me about fitting NKP cars sides to Trainline bodies:

The sides fit like a well made glove.

I first removed the roof, underside, interior, ends and the windows. I then
removed the sides, they just snap in. This left me with just the 60 foot
shell.

I then added .030 styrene shims to the brass sides, glued with ACC. I
reinstalled the roof before securing the brass sides to the body, this
assured me that the sides and roof matched correctly. Do not reinstall the
ends until AFTER the sides are glued in place. I then used a liquid cement
on the shims to attach the sides to the body shell - I tacked it only at the
bottom and ends. I removed the roof, you will see that there is about an
.020 gap from the top of the Trainline frame to the top of the NKP brass car
side, the roof has a slight overhang.

Once everything was secured with a liquid cement, I then cleaned all the
parts and am now ready to paint and letter it.

The interior can be reinstalled, although it is hard to see the detail,
perhaps I should look at lighting the interior.

Hope this helps anyone interested in a quicker way to getting this done. I
will be sending off an email to NKP and hope that he will look at doing
other cars in this length. There are several other cars that could be build
using this method: Baggage cars: 1306 to 1309, 1316, 1317, 1375, 1400-1402,
1592-1597. Baggage Mail cars: 1892 & 1893 and 2325 to 2346.

Regards,
Ray Bedard

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM