[CBQ] Re: Named wooden and heavyweight passenger cars on the Burlington

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Named wooden and heavyweight passenger cars on the Burlington
From: "michaelvictorg" <michaelvictorg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:19:18 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,

How is everything in New Zealand?

Thank you for taking the time to explain the numberings of the
particular named Burlington cars I was wondering about.

I have a copy of the October 1926 Official Railway Equipment
Register, which lists all the numbers of the freight and passenger
cars owned by the North American railroads, and have access to other
editions at the library. Unfortunately under the Burlington, it only
lists car numbers and doesn't give any names.

Robert Wayner came out with a book over forty years ago called Car
Names and Consists which lists most of the names (but no
corresponding numbers) of passenger cars which were owned by the
American railroads and the Pullman Company. Under the CB&Q the only
named heavyweight cars he lists are LINCOLN CLUB, MINNEAPOLIS CLUB,
OMAHA CLUB, ST. PAUL CLUB, MISSISSIPPI, and RIVERVIEW. I also know
the Burlington named nearly all of the Budd stainless steel Zephyr
fleet cars and already have their names and the corresponding numbers
for them (almost 200 cars) thanks to another of Mr. Wayner's books.
I also have one of his books containing the names of heavyweight
Pullman sleeping cars and parlor cars, some of which the Burlington
later purchased after the Pullman breakup in the late 1940's.

I have seen photographs of Burlington owned wooden and heavyweight
cars, which were not Pullman operated sleeping or parlor cars. The
only types of these cars, which appear to have been named were
club/lounge cars and café-parlor cars in the 200 and 300 series, of
which they doesn't seem to be more than a couple of dozen. (my 1926
roster shows only 14 cars of these types) Are you telling me that all
the cars in these two series were named as well as numbered and /or
are you telling me that the Burlington named its wooden and
heavyweight coaches, chair cars, diners, etc.?

I am not familiar with William Glick's "Burlington Passenger Car
Roster", and it certainly sounds intriguing, but as my main goal at
this time is to determine which of the Burlington's cars were
platform and solarium observation cars, it doesn't sound as if it
would be very helpful in that pursuit.

Thanks again,
Michael
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@...> wrote:

> Michael
>
> Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin were cafe-parlor
cars
> 300-304 built by Pullman in 1902. Illinois and Iowa were renumbered
to 207-8
> in 1914 as dinette & parlor lounge cars
>
> I am unable to assist with the questions about observation
platforms.

> St Paul, Omaha and Lincoln were previously numbered as 210, 215 and
216
> respectively with the word "Club" after the name.  Minneapolis does
not
> appear to have been numbered, although some records suggest the
names of
> Minneapolis Club and Omaha Club were switched at one point, which
would also
> affect the question of numbers.
>
> The list of other named cars is too long to type.  I've taken most
of the
> information from "Burlington Passenger Car Roster" by William
Glick, in