[CBQ] Re: Questions about brass Overland 4-8-2 and painting

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Questions about brass Overland 4-8-2 and painting
From: "docdenny34" <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:41:40 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have one of these, and with some help it is one of the best locomotives I
own. As has
been noted,  it has the extended smokebox of a lignite burner.

The model I have had some very basic problems, all correctable.
1) If the locomotive operates only hestitantly, the motor overheats (and draws
higher
amperage), and with increasing operating time it continues to lose power, the
motor
magnets are losing their charge.

2)  The B1a motor is a very early can model (Mashima?- I cannot recall).
Earlier can motors
of this type of all makes had Alnico rather than the much more pervasive and
durable
ceramic magnets that have made can motors so currently common (Alnico magnets
can
lose magnetism, while ceramic magnets are capable of holding a charge much
longer).

3) Easy solution:  Replace motor.

4) Harder solution: Remagnetize motor. This is what I did (I have a
remagnetizer, and the
motor had a beautiful machined finish that I wanted to save).  The results were
spectacular.

5) As mentioned, the gearbox is not the best. Replace it with a NWSL- a fairly
straightforward process.

6) In the process, replace the rubber driveline with a NWSL universal driveline.

The result of this motor and drive overhaul is that this is now one of the
sweetest, most
quiet running locomotives that I have- and it is handsome to boot. I have not
yet
converted it to DCC, but it will be easy to do so.

If I can help you with details, please contact me off-line.

Denny

Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy).
http://us.click.yahoo.com/F9LvrA/dlQLAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM