[CBQ] Re: #2486 VO1000 Info

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: #2486 VO1000 Info
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 19:58:08 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Simon, Roy, Scott, Bill, Jan,

In researching what information I have at hand, I can pass this info
on to you about the VO-1000.

I was able to gather this info from 3-4 different sources in my
own "library" of CB&Q books I own.
This info comes from:

1. Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol. 1 by Al Holck
   pages 58-59

2. Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol. 2 by Al Holck
   page 22

3. CB&Q in Color Vol. 1 by Mike Spoor
   page 17

4. CB&Q in Color Vol. 3 by Mike Spoor
   pages 116-117

5. Hub of Burlington Lines West by A. Holck
   page 138

Bill is correct about the back-pressure issue and over heating. But
of the 30 VO-1000's owned by the "Q" only 17 were modified to a 4
stack design, and what I read, the modifications were done by the
Burlington. The ATSF also had the same problems and used the
same "fix".

However, the VO-1000's were delivered in two (2) groups. 9350-9357
in October/November of 1943 and 9358-9379 in October/November of
1944. They rode on AAR trucks and had the De LaVergne 4 cycle in-
line 8 cylinder engines.

The books state that most of the 4-stack engines (motors?) were
assigned to the St. Joe Division and worked out of Kansas City
(Murray Yard?).

I went to the Stewart web site and looked up the road numbers that
they did the "Q" engines in, looked through the photos in the above
mentioned books and came up with this:

9353 - 4 Stacks   w/radio    6-1961(photo date) Murray Yard.  (1.)

9365 - 4 stacks   w/radio   10-1960(photo date) St. Joe       (1.)

9355 - 4 stacks   w/o radio  4-1967(photo date) Valdosta, GA. (2.)

(The numbers in parentheses refer to the book the info comes from,
see beginnig of the post.)

The VO-1000 lasted on the "Q" into the mid 60's when they were
traded in to GE as partial payment for new units (I presume GE
units). 11 of them were sold by GE topower short ACL, becoming SCL
units upon the ACL-SBD merger in 1967 (hense the photo taken in
Valdosta, GA. this photo shows #9355 still in "Q" paint and number).

One last bit of "Q" trivia in regards to the VO-1000's, they were
the only units to have the yellow/red sill stripes reversed from
what the other hood/switcher engines had. On the VO-1000's the
yellow stripe was on top, with the red on the bottom. All the rest
of the hood/switchers were red on top, yellow on the bottom ( and
yes, Stewart did that correctly!).

I also looked at my Bulletins, and there is no Bulletin specifclly
covering the VO-1000. There is one covering the Alco S4 switchers
(diesel).

I hope this helps, and I highly recommend, if you can, to seek out
and purchase the books I mention above, they are EXCELLENT sources
of info and photos of the Burlington Route. The authors (Al and
Mike) put lots of hard work into getting the information they put in
the books as correct as possible!

Greg K.
Minnesota

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, clipperw@E... wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I believe all of the Q's Baldwin VO1000's were delivered on a
single
> order and they all originally had a single short stack near the
rear of
> the hood. Those generally assigned to Kansas City and other
western
> point generally were modified to by the RR to the 4 stack
arrangement
> while, in general, those in the east including Chicago continued
> operate with a single stack. Why, I am not sure. Supposedly, the 4
> stack arrangement relieved an exhaust back pressure problem that
was
> affecting diesel engine operation and maintenance. I am not
familiar
> enough with the Baldwin production to know whether they ever
delivered
> a 4 stack arrangement as original equipment. However, I recall
reading
> that the 4 stack modification was supported and possibly developed
by
> Baldwin engineers. It is also possible that they came up with
another
> design change to correct the problem in production.
>
> Bill Barber
>
> On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 06:08  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
> >  Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:38:43 -0500
> >    From: "Simon Griffin" <SIMON_GRIF@m...>
> > Subject: Re: Stewart VO1000
> >
> > Roy, I am no expert on this by any means.  What I have read
suggests
> > that
> > there is not an easy answer to this, and I don't think that
there is a
> > definitive list for this.  Evidently, the initial production run
of
> > these
> > had a single low stack at the rear of the hood.  Later ones were
> > delivered
> > with 4 stacks.  Earlier ones were modified to 4 stacks.
Apparently
> > not all
> > were modified however.  Perhaps someone else has more definitive
> > answers to
> > this.  I searched the forum archive and the question was asked
several
> > times
> > when the Stewart model came out, but I did not see any
conclusive
> > answer.
> >
> > Simon

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h1bint1/M=362131.6882500.7825259.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123279093/A=2889190/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet
Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>