Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:28:07 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Simon,

I believe all of the Q's Baldwin VO1000's were delivered on a single
order and they all originally had a single short stack near the rear of
the hood. Those generally assigned to Kansas City and other western
point generally were modified to by the RR to the 4 stack arrangement
while, in general, those in the east including Chicago continued to
operate with a single stack. Why, I am not sure. Supposedly, the 4
stack arrangement relieved an exhaust back pressure problem that was
affecting diesel engine operation and maintenance. I am not familiar
enough with the Baldwin production to know whether they ever delivered
a 4 stack arrangement as original equipment. However, I recall reading
that the 4 stack modification was supported and possibly developed by
Baldwin engineers. It is also possible that they came up with another
design change to correct the problem in production.

Bill Barber

On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 06:08  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>  Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:38:43 -0500
>    From: "Simon Griffin" <SIMON_GRIF@msn.com>
> Subject: Re: Stewart VO1000
>
> Roy, I am no expert on this by any means.  What I have read suggests
> that
> there is not an easy answer to this, and I don't think that there is a
> definitive list for this.  Evidently, the initial production run of
> these
> had a single low stack at the rear of the hood.  Later ones were
> delivered
> with 4 stacks.  Earlier ones were modified to 4 stacks.  Apparently
> not all
> were modified however.  Perhaps someone else has more definitive
> answers to
> this.  I searched the forum archive and the question was asked several
> times
> when the Stewart model came out, but I did not see any conclusive
> answer.
>
> Simon

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hc1v2c9/M=362343.6886682.7839641.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123259290/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com";>Make
 a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>