Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:17:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,

I, too, am interested in building a coal train typical of a Q train in
central/southern Illinois. My impression is that the vast majority of
the cars were Q owned, but varies in type with lots of gondolas as
compared to today's modern unit trains. I suspect when the coal fields
were really active in the first half of the 20th century, that an
occasional car from another RR may have shown up. I have theorized that
the most likely ones would be from the other RRs that operated in the
same area, such as IC, Wabash, GM&N (or GM&O if after 1949), etc.
However, we must keep in mind that customer and routing may have
precluded the use of other RR's equipment in given RR's trains.
Individual loads in a coal train went to specific customers that may
generally have been "on line". Perhaps John Mitchell, who is the real
expert on this portion of the Q operation, can give us some insight as
to what foreign cars could have appeared in a Q coal train. I want to
build a coal train to put behind my M-4 2-10-4 and I would like it to
be generally correct as to road names and types of cars.

Bill Barber

On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 06:08  AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:

>  Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:16:21 -0500
>    From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
> Subject: Re: Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train
>
> Thanks, Rob, and all who've responded to my question thusfar.
> Unfortunately, I haven't received much info on what road's hoppers
> might appear in the coal train, beyond IC cars.  My version of the
> mine ownership will be a jointly owned operation by the 'Q and the IC,
> similar to what I recall reading in the Society's  book on the
> Southern Illinois Coalfields.  So there will DEFINITELY be IC hoppers
> at the mine . . . and some gon's, too.
>
> However, I was hoping some of you who have consist info on some of
> these coal runs in the area of Illinois "somewhere" in the area
> between Chicago and Galesburg, could check and share what other road's
> cars one might find in the train.  That's what I was hoping for.  How
> about it?
>
> Thanks, again!
> --
> "Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
>  Peru, IL *USA*
> (Modeling 1960's in HO.)
> At 05:13 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hm6t2et/M=362343.6886682.7839641.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123258682/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com";>Make
 a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>