Re: [CBQ] Re: New file uploaded to CBQ

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: New file uploaded to CBQ
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:41:35 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill has it right except when we had operators they gave the train call to the
DS to be filled in.  A call for a train say from No Lacrosse to Cicero would be
written up by the C&I dispatcher(until computers only one man ran St. Croix to
Aurora) and taken into the East End.  The slip would lay on the desk until the
train got to Aurora then the East End would enter it on the sheet.  The East
End kept a sheet for each shift(3) of the almost six foot long sheets.( I have
a couple) as they had all the passenger train, Freight trains and the transfer
moves.  Most times the sheet does show what track the train was on as it was a
means of telling who was where and where they needed to crossover.Not like
today with a CRT screen and the Digicrap(opps DigiCon) lets you know where the
train is.  Every time the big boss of the signal dept shows up I tell him I
want my GRS machine back(see PTJ Dec.1988 for Ed DeRouin's article on "Land of
the Burlington's")
On stations with an Operator they would watch the train go by and then OS the
train by.  In CTC the Dispatcher would use the CTC machine and write down OS's.
 The WABCO machines on the C&I, Mainline and Ottumwa(actually Creston West) had
a graph which used a pen to show when the signal was lined, taken and cleared
and a lot of DS would mark the graph so it showed meets and the like(when
someone ran a red board)
And with modern Technology the jobs I started on 30 years ago now take from 2
to 5 people to dispatch the same territory
sjh