[CBQ] Re: DZ Et Al Head End Info Needed

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: DZ Et Al Head End Info Needed
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:26:02 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob, Charlie, and Others:

Perhaps I can help clarify the issue.

1.) The DZ normally carried a baggage car and an RPO, as Bob
listed in his consists.

2.) Once a week, Bob check the date and day if possible, of the
DZ consists with the two cars of magazines, I think it was
Saturday. These cars were weekly news magazines printed in
Chicago for distribution from Denver.

3.) I do not know what Charlie means be the real CZ. Was there
a fantasy CZ???

4.) Lets not think in terms of sections of the CZ for this subject.
Those sections were traffic created by the Passenger
Department to develop Chicago to Denver business, usually fall
color ro ski tourism. The were not passed to the DRG&W or WP.

5.) A bit of history is needed to understand why  mail cars were
added at Omaha or Lincoln. Do you recall The Coloradoan? It
was primarily a mail and express train coaches and some  meal
and beverage service. When that train was removed, the
business did not disappear. The Chicago to Omaha - Lincoln
M&E was added to the Nebraska Zephyr. Since the Q had a
contract to move a car or so from Lincoln or Omaha to Denver,
guess where they were placed? On the CZ.

6.) Why the CZ? After the Coloradoan was discontinued,  the Q
operated only three trains to Denver, the DZ, CZ, and 7. Seven
was too slow and Numbers 1 and 10, the DZ were the premier
trains on the CB&Q. They were not to be tampered with. So, by
default and somewhat unhappily, the decision was made to add
the business to the CZ.

7. In this era and for the same reasson, a car was also added to
the westbound and removed from the eastbound CZ at Brush.
This was the Alliance - Denver car.

Ed DeRouin

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <no17@c...> wrote:
> No... that was the interesting part.  All of the CZ's that had this
traffic
> were 1st section CZ's - and had the traffic added at Omaha
and/or
> "Lincoln".  Remember that Omaha was late night, and Denver
early morning,
> power changed at Denver.  So slipping all extra head end off at
Denver
> would have been rather easy.  BTW, year was 1966.
>
> At 12:32 AM 4/28/2005, you wrote:
> >Bob-
> >Weren't the CZs with headend traffic all, or mostly all, "2nd"
CZ, which
> >someone stated actually ran on the DZ schedule?   I saw a
number of the
> >consists that had an attempt at assembling a CZ, but with
RPOs, etc.. but
> >never more than one baggage (sometimes a economy
baggage subing for one of
> >the CZ cars) on the real CZ.
> >Charlie Vlk

and Denver.  Why not
> > > the DZ, or other sections of the DZ, I don't know.  But often
as many as 3
> > > extra cars.   From Cicero, on the DZ several times there are
labels
> > > indicating magazine loaded baggage cars.   If interested, I
can post those

Zephyr but
RPO, mail storage
accurate