[CBQ] Re: Burlington Route Streamlined Observation Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Route Streamlined Observation Cars
From: "michaelvictorg" <michaelvictorg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:47:23 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the correction regarding ST. NICHOLAS MOUNTAIN, I should
have checked my copy of Wayner's Car Names, Numbers and Consists more
carefully.
The EMPIRE BUILDER's MOUNTAIN series cars displayed the name
PULLMAN
next to the vestibule. The cars contained two roomettes. I tried to
find the cars among the car construction records at the Newberry
Library in Chicago and they were not included. I later discovered
that the roomettes were reserved for on board train personnel and not
available for sale to the travelling public. Makes sense, but why
then was the name PULLMAN painted on the cars? Was the name removed
after the cars entered service? Did Pullman provide the buffet
service or did the railroads?
Michael

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM