Re: [CBQ] Missouri & Illinois Bridge & Belt

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Missouri & Illinois Bridge & Belt
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:39:12 +1200
James

There is a note in Richard C Overton's "Burlington Route" (page 518) and I
quote -
"A lesser, though not inconsiderable project completed directly after the
war was Burlington's acquisition of the single-track bridge across the
Mississippi River between Alton, Illinois, and West Alton, Missouri, owned
by the Missouri & Illinois Bridge & Belt Railroad Company. The Burlington
accounted for about ninety percent of the business over the Alton Bridge:
the rest came from local traffic at Alton and from interchange between the
Missouri-Kansas-Texas and the railways on the east side of the river.  This,
then, was an essential facility, but one in which the CB&Q held no
proprietary interest.  Accordingly, during 1946 and 1947 the CB&Q brought
the Bridge stock of all the proprietary railroad sand of the individual
owners except for a two-elevenths interest of the Missouri Pacific.  Thus
the company gained control of a vital link and insured the continued prompt
movement of its trains back and forth across the river in the St Louis
district."

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ