Re: [CBQ] Re: Purington Pavers

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Purington Pavers
From: "Haydens" <kliner@socket.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:53:12 -0600
Charlie,  Purington Brick made two products that the Burlington used.  They
had the "Paver" which was usually at larger facilities that may warrant
heavier traffic, and they had the "Brick" which was found on many small town
depot platforms.  The dimensions were very similar with the Paver somewhat
longer by about 1/4 inch.  Generally they were about  3 3/4 " by 8 1/2 " and
2 3/4 ' thick.  I recall as a brand new brakeman hiring out at Galesburg,
how impressed I was that a railroad even made their own bricks for their
driveways and platforms.  Of course I was simply misreading the paver name
and at first glance they did seem to read "Burlington".  Does anyone have
any info on Purington?  As I recall they weighed about 7 lbs. each and I
have hauled 500 of them at a time on my old pick up truck.  Hope this helps.
Archie Hayden