[CBQ] While we're at it...MTZ and Zephyr-Rocket consists

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] While we're at it...MTZ and Zephyr-Rocket consists
From: <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:18:56 -0500
Since we're on the subject of consists, I'm going to go ahead and throw in my
question about MTZ and Z-R consists.  I know we've covered some of this before,
but there has been a bit of confusion, I've discovered.

I'm modelling the K-line between Hannibal and STL during 2 time periods, 1955
or so, and 1975.  I'm interested in consists from other years, however,  just
for knowledge sake if nothing else.

Let me start off with what I know (and I apologise, as I'm typing this from
work so I may not have the exact info)...

The Mark Twain Zephyr started in 1935 with #9903  and the original MTZ consist
of the integrated train using Injun Joe (9903), Huck Finn, Becky Thatcher & Tom
Sawyer.   It unfortunately actually spent a lot of it's time re-assigned to
other areas, though, as it started the very next year serving the Twin Cities
for a short time, and was pretty much continually reassigned to various
locations from then until 1957.

During the interim, various locomotives could be seen pulling the MTZ, which by
the 1960s was a very dilapidated Injun Joe coupled to a heavyweight baggage car
& coach.  Archie Hayden showed me a pic of an SD9 or something being used as
the power, but I don't recall what book that was now (I can't find it in any of
my Spoor books).

The Zephyr-Rocket took over as the main named train over the route instead of
the MTZ, this was coupled with Rock Island equipment.

To my understanding, at one point in time the MTZ as well as the Zephyr Rocket
were in service (although I don't think the MTZ was named at the time).

Can someone help out with more info as well as consists for various years of
both trains?  Thanks ahead of time, as I know this wonderful group always comes
through...

Cheers!

Jan Kohl
Castle Graphics