[CBQ] Re: Intermountain stock cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Intermountain stock cars
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:55:02 -0500
To Echo Bill Hirt, InterMountain kits are available. Most dealers will not
order them, as reported, they do not sell. But the kits are available direct
from IM. Be forewarned that IM only does about 10% (maybe less) of a run as
kits, and a good percentage will be undecs. If you want them get them early.

As to the IM stock car, they are doing a ATSF stockcar, this has been
confirmed. I saw the body shell at the show in Seattle. What I don't know is
how close this car is to a CB&Q car. If it is not close, extra parts in the
bag will not help. I have not heard anything about IM doing a CB&Q stock car
except the mention on this list and the one listing now noted on IM's
website. What is even more surprising is no where does IM's website mention
the ATSF stockcar which if not already should be in production shortly. Does
anyone know if the ATSF & CB&Q had similar stock cars?

The Accurail stock car is a 1952(?) GN rebuilt from USRA single sheath box
cars. These stockcars were unique to the GN, despite Accurail painting them
in many other RR schemes. They did the car because they already had the USRA
SS boxcar, was easy to modify. Also these are a 40' car. While the CB&Q had
40' stock cars, the majority of the fleet was 36' cars.

The Walther's car is the former Train Miniatures car, I believe. I have a
few, even in CB&Q. They are a 40' car, with a low inside height. According
to Richard Hendrickson they may resemble a ARA design of the late 20's, but
he says they are a bogus model that does not represent any prototype

What we really need is a 36' stock car. The old MDC 36' old-timer is
patterned after a Colorado Midland prototype, a very unique looking stock
car to say the least. Plus the RR itself disappeared in 1921 (I think).

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowatelecom.net/~dharding/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM