Re: [CBQ] 35560 boxcar

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 35560 boxcar
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:10:39 -0500
Mark;

I can add a bit to Rupert's comments and help you with modeling information.

In case you aren't familiar with it, Havelock, Nebraska was the location
of the CB&Q's prominent car shop where a great deal of re-building and
new car construction took place.

Don't be misled by the ORER...while the CB&Q XM-32/XM-32A car series
included several thousand cars of nearly identical interior dimensions
built from 1940 through 1958, there were several detail variations among
the various batches of cars. These cars were basically a 10'6" inside
height AAR standard box car, constructed with components (ends, roof,
running boards, doors, trucks, etc.) that reflected a combination of
prevailing equipment practices and CB&Q preferences at the time of their
building.

CB&Q 35560, the car you inqure about, was built with  4-4 improved
dreadnaut ends, ASF trucks, 6 foot wide Youngstown doors, eight-rung
side ladders and rectangular Murphy raised-panel roof.  Unfortunately, I
can't say for certain which type of brake gear these cars were delivered
with (probably Miner or Ajax).  I believe they had steel running
boards.  They had the "Everywhere West" slogan on one side and "Way of
the Zephyrs" on the other side.

Your best bet for modeling them in HO is to use the Branchline Trains
#1400 undec 40'6" Postwar box car kit.  A very simlar car is available
as a decorated kit from Branchline as their kit #1404.  Burlington
Bulletin #7 contains a weath of information about the XM-32/XM-32A cars
and is a valuable resource if you are trying to model them.

Kind regards, Rob Adams

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM