[CBQ] Re: Harlem Ave station Berwyn

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Harlem Ave station Berwyn
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 23:24:26 -0000
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@c...> wrote:
> According to the Map the West Towns Lyons Line, including the
Stanley Avenue
> portion, was abandoned in 1941.
> Charlie Vlk

What a timely subject!

Just a week ago Monday, I viewed a pile of 8X10s of that area.
The are a part of the John Humiston estate and are being
researched for later publication in the magazine of the Shore
Line Interurban Historical Society, First & Fastest.

The photos, taken in 1937 and perhaps other years, were of both
the C&WT and the Q. I was enlightened and delighted to learn
more about the Harlem Avenue Interlockng that I had ever hoped.

The interlocking protected both the Q and the C&WT. I was
staffed by a Q operator, in this case a well-recognized name, L.
E. Griffith. The tower was located west of Harlem on the north
side of the CB&Q right-of-way. It was a pipe plant!

If you recall photos of eastbound trains at that location from that
era, you may have noted a signal bridge west of Harlem. In that
period, that bridge contained tri-color signals protecting
westward movements on 1 and 2, and semaphores protecting
eastward movements on 2 and 3. I always wondered why the
semaphores had not been replaced with tri-color signals. The
photos contained the reason.

The electrically operated sempahores were part of the
interlocking! Immediately east of the eastward signals on 2 and
3 were pipe-operated point type derails.

I found it fascinating that the crossing of the Q with the street
railway was protected with a plant worthy of a second steam
road.

No publication date has been determined as of yet.

Regards,

Ed DeRouin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM