Re: [CBQ] Batavia, IL depot site

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Batavia, IL depot site
From: Willliam Franckey <budapest@galesburg.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 21:32:13 -0500
Lets not forget the Bushnell Illinois Depot that may be older.......
It looks to have survived from the Northern Cross Railroad that
pre-dates the CB&Q RR.  In fact there are those that argue that this
depot is the oldest in Illinois.  That line ended at Bushnell with
stage coach to Galesburg.  Here, we split hairs on control vs.
ownership.  Also, there is some interesting jockeying of Chief
Engineers about this time (1851-1854)  J.M. Berrien has taken the
lion's share of credit for the early depots, freight houses and
principal structures.  Thankfully, he did design the fireproof safe of
the Q's main offices that survived the Chicago Fire.  Remember that the
contracts were let as early as 1851 for some of these structures.   I'm
referring to a 1943 report done for Mr. Budd when he expressed interest
into the location of the first Aurora Depot.  By the way, the very
first Aurora Depot ( temporary ) sat about where the Burlington Credit
Union sits now but have not be able to really follow up on this trail.
I very well may be off a block or two.  If anyone is interested in
tracking this location down, I would be glad to share the scraps of
info I've assembled.  Please contact me off list.  Bill

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM