[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Signals Page

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Signals Page
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:25:36 -0600
Manfred,

I am not a signal expert (There are certainly others on the CBQlist
that are), but here are a couple of comments from what little I know.
The top signal, of course, is the "through" track indication. Depending
on where it was used on the railroad, this signal can display green for
clear track, flashing yellow (shown with the "flash" marks around it),
indicating "medium approach" informing the crew that there is traffic
in the third block ahead, solid yellow indicating that traffic exists
in the second block ahead, and finally red indicating traffic in the
next block ahead.

The second signal down controls movement on diverging routes through
crossovers. The same signal indications as displayed as on the top
signal, but indicating traffic on the new or diverging route. Green on
a through track allows the train to operate at the posted speed limit
which might be 79 mph or more. A green on the diverging route would
indicate maximum speed for the crossover. That might be 55 mph or some
other speed related to the specific crossover.

The lower signal governs movement onto a siding and displays red (no
movement) or yellow only. The single ground level signal or "pot" also
governs movement onto a siding or some other special indication for the
specific location.

The small lunar white signal, positioned to the upper left quadrant of
the top signal, was and is found primarily in the Chicago commuter
territory. This signal allows trains (primarily commuter) to proceed
very slowly into a red block with another train in it. This allows
commuter trains to clear depots for following traffic. Under some
circumstances. the lunar white could be found elsewhere for special
conditions with the same usage.

The flashing yellow indication was added to the Q's signal array
following the disastrous Naperville collision between the first and
second sections of the Exposition Flyer. This gave crews extra warning,
time and distance prior to encountering traffic ahead.

BTW, I believe there is an error in the chart. I think that indication
#501F should be solid yellow, not flashing yellow. Flashing yellow
should indicate diverging approach medium which is shown in #501C.

 From the tone of your note, it sounds like you are from England. If so,
your signals always seemed much more confusing that those found in the
US. But then, maybe you are from Australia and I have no knowledge of
your signal systems.

As I indicated earlier, I am sure others on this list can provide much
more definitive and maybe more correct information on Q signal systems.
If so, please jump in. I am far from the expert!

Bill Barber