[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Signals Page

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Signals Page
From: "Manfred Lorenz" <germanfred55@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:27:49 -0000
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, William Barber <clipperw@E...> wrote:
> Manfred,
>
> I am not a signal expert (There are certainly others on the CBQlist
> that are), but here are a couple of comments from what little I
know.
> The top signal, of course, is the "through" track indication.
Depending
> on where it was used on the railroad, this signal can display green
for
> clear track, flashing yellow (shown with the "flash" marks around
it),
> indicating "medium approach" informing the crew that there is
traffic
> in the third block ahead, solid yellow indicating that traffic
exists
> in the second block ahead, and finally red indicating traffic in
the
> next block ahead.
>  From the tone of your note, it sounds like you are from England.
If so,
> your signals always seemed much more confusing that those found in
the
> US. But then, maybe you are from Australia and I have no knowledge
of
> your signal systems.
_________________________________

Bill,

Thanks for explaining these aspects. One really needs to go through
the aspects one by one in their logical order to understand their
purpose. Now I gather that the signals are used in a comparable way
as train orders: They show how to run and what other traffic to
expect on the territory. So a lot more information needed to be
conveyed to the crew.

Actually I live in Germany. Most trains have fixed schedules.
Switches are not operated by the crew except for switching industrial
spurs or some yard areas. So the crew needs only to know at what
speed they had to go. No concern about priorities and such.
Everything is done by the dispatcher.

Different concepts in different worlds.

Thanks for lighting up my perception.

Manfred