[CBQ] DZ-double sections (was Re: The 56 DZ, a fine finale...)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] DZ-double sections (was Re: The 56 DZ, a fine finale...)
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:08:24 -0000
Loren

I am going to have to contradict you.

I witnessed two DZ sections in the winter of 1965, when we put my
aunt and cousins on the coach section in Denver to return to Chicago
in visiting us.  And I rode the one of the sections both directions
in the winter of 1966.  And Dave Morgan documents a third in his 1962
book Diesels West.  In all three cases, the domed parlor Obs rode at
the end of the sleeper section in its normal spot.

Also, the mail cars Silver Mail and Silver Post were inherited from
other Zephyrs.

How about modelling the train #10 that my brother and I rode in the
winter of 1966.  Our section was configured as follows:

Dome Obs Parlor Silver Veranda
Sleeper
Sleeper
Sleeper
Slumbercoach Silver Repose (My brother and I rode in double room A)
Diner Silver Chef
Colorado Springs sleeper
Colorado Springs slumbercoach
Colorado Springs dome coach
Dome Chuckwagon Silver Cup (was really weird seeing the solid mail car
                           door from the front door of the chuckwagon)
Mail car Silver Mail
Havelock Baggage Car
E7 facing backward
E7 facing backward
E7 facing forward.

I really did not see the other section, but I believe it was coaches,
a diner, probably a dome coach or two from somewhere (we had all of
the DZ domes in our section <g>) and perhaps a baggage car.  On the
return trip, the coach section carried the diner Silver Feast.

sjl

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Aeolus3@a... wrote:
> Yes, the DZ was the last fully brand new passenger consist built
with the
> exception of the baggage cars, Argo and Olympus.
>
> When the DZ ran in sections (56 equipment) which observation car
was used on
> the Pullman section?
>
> From the photos I've seen, the Buffet-Dorm-Dome ran with the coach
section
> along with the Slumber Coaches and the RPO and Baggage cars. My
feelings are
> when the DZ ran in sections, the flat end observation ran with the
coach section
> and one of the extra CZ Observations ran on the DZ's Pullman
Section.

> Since the crew dorm was with the coach section I have seen photos
of a HW
> Pullman behind the motors on what appeared to be the Pullman
Section of the DZ.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511