[CBQ] Re: The 56 DZ, a fine finale to the Budd tradition started with th

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: The 56 DZ, a fine finale to the Budd tradition started with the Q
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:28:53 -0000
Interestingly enough, according to Wayner's Car Names, Number and
consists, the Missouri Pacific also received 10-6 sleepers at the
same time, built to the same plan, 9538.  The 9 DZ cars were built in
July and August of 1956 and were of lot number 9660-169 whereas the 6
MP cars were built a month later and were of lot number 9660-171.

I wonder if anyone knows if there was a lot number 9660-170 and, if
so, were these also 10-6 sleepers of plan 9538 and to which railroad
they went.  Dave Randall, are you out there?

sjl

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, SilvrDome@a... wrote:
> You have got it right Steve!
>
> The "Big...New...Vista Dome Denver Zephyr" was the last word in
passenger
> train construction in the 1950's.
>
> The 10-6 Pullmans were of the "S" type design placing the higher
priced
> Bedrooms in the quieter center of the car, with the roomettes over
the trucks.
> The Platic-Wood interiors (also used on the "Canadians") replaced
the
> metal-wood interiors of older trains, reducing the need for
periodic repainting.

> Burlington's Chair Coaches with full carpeting, Heywood Wakefield
Sleepy
> Hollow Leg Rest Seats, venetian blinds and decorative drapes, were
the ultimate
> comfort features for non-Hi Level equipment.
>
> And a train with 2 sparkling new Slumbercoaches, a Vista Dome
Observation

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511