[CBQ] 2004 MP 206 CB&Q wall calendar

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 2004 MP 206 CB&Q wall calendar
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:48:37 -0000
Just got mine & very impressed.  7 color & 6 b/w pics from 10 photog's
ranging from 1934 to 1970.  Like our yrly BRHS calendars, its
sometimes not just the subject of the photo (train, loco, etc) but
the details on the edges.  For excample: A shot of 5632 with a string
of hwt coaches on an excursion also has a bit of a Q section shed in
the background.  I notice 2 things & confirmed with some of my own
slides.  One, doors were not always a different style from the siding
of the structure itself but in this case they are virtually a
continuation of the siding - makes scratch building easier!  Two, tar
paper roofs are simple & somewhat fake looking even on the prototype!

Feb. has 2 blackbird GP-7's - #258 & 217; one has horn on top of
short nose, the other on side behind the cab!  As always, ck the
actual loco you are modeling as to detail placement!

Mar. (& the cover) clearly show the back up whistle on a wood waycar,
an often omitted detail on Burlington waycar models.

Apr has 5632 on another fantrip but now in St. Paul with a GN TOFC
with a short Omaha Green & Orange trailer plus the nose of a GN
switcher on another track - part of the reason I'm happy I chose to
model the LaCrosse Div is having the beautiful GN & NP schemes along
with the Q!

May shows an E-5 with coupler covers in place but open - usually
photos show them closed or gone.

Jun, a Q PR shot of the PZ has the neat detail of a super old
Standard Oil truck fueling it (with the Std Oil driver wearing the
caps they used to wear into the 50's)

The Aug shot of a Mike on a frt in "47 is nice as there is also a
SOUTHERN cab unit (in Centrailia, IL of all places) plus the Q water
tank has a frost box that appaears 2 sizes too large for the small
tank!

Oct confirms the Q's (& othr RR's) operating practice - an empty flat
ahead of the waycar AND several stock cars (GN) just ahead of them
where a) the crew can keep an eye on the stock and b) can be quickly
cut off by said crew @ destination

The track detector car set and a gas electric help round out the end
of the yr plus an F unit pulling a Q flat car with ribbed Q trailer
on it in a beautiful night scene.

All in all a great 1st effort and if continued in future yrs means us
Q fans can one calendar @ home and one @ work and 2 different Q
scenes every month instead of one.  About time we get 2 cal's as do
the other so-called big roads; none had more variety that our beloved
Burlington!   Gerald