[CBQ] E's in freight service, was E9's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] E's in freight service, was E9's
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:13:22 -0000
I can personally attest to seeing E's pulling a freight train with
farm equipment on them in the summer of, I believe, 1967, while
sitting in the Chuckwagon dome car.  Unfortunately, I did not notice
whether they were E7's or E8's.  But they were in Passenger paint
scheme.

One had to be careful about using E's in freight service because of
their gearing.  C&S's E5s all met an ignominious end in drag freight
service over Palmer hill in Colorado, destroying traction motors in
the process.

sjl